Sunday, October 31, 2010

I'm good at catching large animals.

With my purse strapped across my shoulder, I carefully swam through the clear, blue waters off a Caribbean beach. I didn't want my bag to get wet, but I didn't want to sacrifice the swim.

I stopped to tread water at a spot so deep that, though in clear water, I couldn't see the bottom. That's when the unexpected happened.

An orca -- 29 feet in length, I guessed -- swam right to me. Naturally, I grabbed it by the tail. I held its tail up out of the water and the whale struggled to free itself.

"Not before I take a picture!" I declared.

But I realized: one can't take a camera out of one's purse while using two hands to restrain a whale by its tail. If I wanted a photo of it, I'd have to let go of the whale. But letting go meant I might not get that photo.

A risk I'd have to take.

So, I let go. The whale swam away before I could take a picture.

Then, I woke up.

- - - -

Had this dream last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment